Wednesday, June 10

I'm an aunt!!

A few nights ago, I woke up shivering and having to pee really bad - but feeling really nice from a dream. I was with my sister and her husband and my new nephew when he was a few months old. He was smiling and cute with reddish blonde hair and a mischievous sparkle in his eyes. All I remember other than his face is saying to my sister, "It's amazing how such little creatures have the ability to reach right into your heart and wring some tears out."

It was about 1:45am in Ghorepani, Nepal at the time - we were on a trek through a portion of the Annapurna Conservation Area of the Himalaya. After I got up and used the bathroom, I looked out the window and saw clear sky for the first time since we arrived. I immediately woke up Dan, because across from us were the two largest peaks I have every laid eyes on. We were one night away from the full moon and the mountains were illuminated fully, with a backdrop of brightly twinkling stars. He took some photos and we both laid there quietly for a while - awed and unable to sleep with those peaks looming so close. My thoughts kept drifting back to the sweet, young face I had seen in my dream.

When we returned to Pokhara and checked email, I learned that my first nephew Miles had finally joined us (about a week late!). He was 8 lbs. 4 oz. and 21" long and as I read the date and time of his birth my mouth dropped open. Tears of happiness and sadness (for not being there with my sister!) were filling the corners of my eyes when I realized that he was born about 20 minutes before I woke up from my dream of him!!

Now, I've been coming to understand very strongly that we are all connected...but this amazes me. That I would have a dream of him just after his birth from halfway around the world makes me feel a little less far from home. Of course, I really can't wait to meet him - but we'll probably be home by the time he is able to remember us anyway. At least that's what I tell myself to feel okay about missing it.

The other cool thing that I realized - it was June 6th in the USA when he was born, so that is officially his birthday. However, it was June 7th here in Nepal - so Miles is going to have a special birthday with his Aunt Lisa for the rest of his life!!

No comments: