Wednesday, October 17

Lightening Up

Okay...so I decided that what I've written so far is a bit heavy - and it's true, I spend a good amount of time these days considering such esoteric stuff - but life isn't about just that.

So - I'm wondering if anyone else who has ever lived alone found (or finds) that they talk to themselves? I mean, I know a lot of people do - when they're getting dressed or looking in the mirror...I've seen people walking down the street in full conversations with - well, no one else was walking next to them...if maybe you're angry with someone and have words for them that it's probably better they didn't actually hear...lots of reasons, I guess.

But I just found myself sitting here...studying for class tonight...mind drifted off for a second...next thing I know, I've created this whole conversation - not with myself, in my daydream someone else was involved - but it's like I was talking to them with facial expressions and hand gestures and everything! In reality, I was flirting with the teapot on my stove.

Now, I've been told before by people that they talked more to themselves when they lived alone than at any other time in their lives...why is this a phenomenon? I've talked to plenty of people so far today...and am about to go teach a dance lesson and then have class tonight - it's not like I'm aching for conversation. Maybe I've got an over-active imagination? Maybe I just wanted to talk to this particular person and s/he is not around - or, it wouldn't be the conversation we'd have if we were to talk anyway? At least this way...the conversation always turns out how I'd like it to, right?

I mean, the teapot whistled back. ;-)

1 comment:

Jessica Oakley said...

Oh my god. I totally do that. Totally. Like I practice conversations, and then the practice is always fruitless because the real person never says what I practiced they would say.