Tuesday, February 17

The plunge.

I'm 30 and I just jumped in a lake. In upstate New York. In February. Air temperature was about 33 - water temperature was about 40. It was refreshing. I liked it so much the first time, I back-flipped in for a second dip. When I hit the water, I felt for a split second that I wanted to stay under. There was no sensation of cold - just the pure silence of stillness and the faint thump of my heart. Then, I felt ice crystals forming on my legs. My legs, quite literally, became slushy.

I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this. I could take it to the 'rebirth' arena, but it wasn't quite that profound. It was fun! It made me feel jubilant and new. This time of year - when it's easy to feel sedentary and stale - it's important to jar your senses. It was an exercise in staying present. In the moment.

I feel like part of a swift-moving current. I'm about to take the second plunge of my 30th year. Two weeks from tonight, Dan and I will be on a plane headed for Bengaluru, India. I'm not sure how I feel about it at the moment. With so many other things that need to be done before we leave, it's hard to even consider being excited! I'm not sure if excited is the word. Maybe there isn't a word to describe how I feel. Ill-prepared? Completely prepared. Nervous? Calm. Uncertain? Surer of myself than ever before. We have no plans. We bought one-way tickets. We have some money in savings. What could go wrong? What is 'wrong'? Whatever happens happens. It is what is.

Now that's profound.

No comments: